The Church of "Theotokos"
(the Virgin Mary)
The church of "Theotokos" was
constructed in 1731 and is located in the village's central
plaza. According to tradition, it was a dependency of the
"Archangelos" Monastery. There are frescoes in the
north and south walls of the church's interior and in the
Prothesis of the church. The oldest are of 1768 and are signed
According to R. Gunnis, the church's interior
and the frescoes were ruined in 1880 due to a fire. However,
perhaps this testimony was entered in Gunnis's book because
of some lapse since there still are -until today -frescoes
of 1769 and 1864. Leontios seems to be the Priest and Monk
Leontios, who created the 1769 frescoes and the Archangel's
portable icon of the same year in the "Katholikon"
(church / temple) of the "Archangelos" Monastery
in Analiontas. He was a monk in the Monastery of St. Irakleidios.
The church's icon screen bears the date
1753. It was created during the term of Archbishop Philotheos
and bears the signatures of Deacon Nektarios and Dositheos,
who were disciples of Philaretos. The inscription has as follows
(roughly reporting the above information): "To
de templos meta ton eorton te Nektariou chei Ierodiakonou
Dositheou ton mathiton Philaretou".
A second inscription notes that the operations
were done under the supervision of the Priest and Monk Gerasimos
and that the monastery and the community's inhabitants covered
the expenses. These hagiographers were monks in the Monastery
of St. Irakleidios. The frescoes in the south wall of the
"Katholikon" in St. Irakleidios's Monastery are
signed by Philaretos in 1759. Stylistically they belong in
the artistic circle of the Priest and Monk Ioannikios, also
coming from the same monastery. Other painters -apart from
Philaretos, Nektarios, and Dositheos -of the same circle were
Leontios, Philotheos, Lavrentios, et al. Ioannikios, who seems
to be the first of that line, left for us works of his in
many churches and monasteries of Cyprus (Agia Napa, Limassol,
"Monogenis" in Koilani, St George of Arpera in Tersefanou,
et al). The stylistic trend of these hagiographers dominated
until the end of the 18th century, before the school of Kornaros
prevailed. Works of theirs can be found in the Monasteries
of "Archangelos" in Analiontas and in Monagri, in
Psimolofou, in the Monastery of St. Minas in Vavla, in the
church of the Holy Cross in Lefkara, in the cathedral of St.
John in Nicosia, et al.
The Church of "Agios Georgios" (St. George)
The church of St. George was constructed
in the end of the 19th century. It is a single-aisle church
with an apse that is polygonal on the outside and semi-circular
internally. The apse is covered by a half-dome while the main
temple is covered by four simplified groined-vaults, which
are separated and supported by "sfendonia" (Y-shaped
poles) that spring from well-wrought footings upon the north
and south walls. Externally there is a corresponding strut
at the end of every arch. The upper part of the north and
south walls ends each time with a series of triangular pediments,
the base of which corresponds to the radius of the arches
in the roof's groined-vaults. The church has two entrances
in the west and the south and only one window in the north,
apart from the small cavity in the temple's apse.
The church's icon screen is of the same
era as its architecture. The oldest icons in the icon screen
are those made by Othon Giavopoulos and bear the date 1901.
There is also one by Kousoulidis, dating back to the first
half of the 20th century. Giavopoulos the Athenian made frescoes
in Lofou, in Vouni, in Omodos, in Agia Napa of Limassol and
his icons decorate quite a few of the island's churches.
The hagiography of the church was undertaken
by the workshop of Byzantine Hagiography and Mosaics of the
Kepola brothers from Athienou. Alkis Kepolas from Athienou
and Costas Glykeriou from Prodromos created the frescoes during
The mosaic of St George, which fills the
hollow of the "blind" cavity in the external western
wall next to the main entrance of the church, was created
in 1992 by George Kepola and Nicos Christodoulidis. The Saint
is depicted from the shoulders up and head-on, bearing a shield
and a spear.
The iconographic plan of the frescoes is
divided into mainly two zones and adjusts to the idiosyncratic
morphology of the church's architectural parts, as -for example
-in the eight sides of the half-domes. Basically, two zones
stand out in the vertical brickwork: the upper one with scenes
from the cycle regarding Christ's life and the lives of Saints
and the lower one with whole-bodied figures of saints. The
area between the lower zone and the floor is covered -throughout
the entire circumference of the church -by a decorative molding
and a painted riser.
Holy Bema and Apse
The half-dome of the apse is covered by the "Platytera
ton Ouranon" , surrounded by two "Angels of the
Lord", as they are recorded. All three figures are depicted
from the shoulders and up. The lower zone of the apse is covered
by the fathers of the church Nicolaos, Lazaros, John "Chrysostomos",
Basilios the Great, Gregorios the Theologian, and Nektarios.
The line of church fathers ends in its two edges with the
Archangels Gabriel and Michael.
The eastern wall forms a pediment over the
apse and in its lower part it surrounds it. Depicted in the
upper end of the pediment is the Holy Mandylion (Shroud);
the Kings of the Old Testament, David and Solomon, and the
Prophets Abbakoum, Isaiah, Aaron, and Moses in the rest of
In the recess of the Holy Prothesis there
is a depiction of Christ's Birth and over the recess there's
the Ark of the Covenant. The "Zoodochos Pigi" (Life-giving
Spring) is presented in the recess of the north wall, next
to the Holy Prothesis, where the fountain and the ossuary
of the church are located.
St. Mary of Egypt and St. Zosimas are depicted
in the north wall, inside the Holy Bema and in the lower part
there's St. "Spyridon o Timithountos", clinching
a tile in his hand as in the miracle which he performed in
the first Ecumenical Council in 325 AD.
Groined-Vaults of the Roof (With
a direction from east to west)
Its eight sides are filled by the figures of the Prophet Elias
and the saints Irakleidios, Memnon, Kyriakos the anchorite,
John "Lampadistis" (Torchbearer / Illuminator),
St. Charalambos and St. Theodosios the "Koinoviarchis"
It includes the "Megali Deisi' (The Great Prayer / Rogation)
The two eastern sides are covered by the Almighty and -following
in the rest are -the Virgin Mary, the Baptist, the four Evangelists,
mark, John, Luke, and Matthew, St. John the Theologian, and
the Archangels Gabriel and Michael.
Here there's a depiction of the Three Hierarchs / Prelates,
Basilios the Great, Gregorios the Theologian, and John "Chrysostomos,
followed by St Photini and the Saints Sofronios, Paul, Kyriakos
of Evrychou, and Andreas.
In the last- toward the west -groined-vault there are paintings
of the Saints Stylianos "Paflagon", Kyprianos, Anastasios,
Therapon of Lythrodontas, Socratis, Omiros, St. Evanthia and
the righteous Symeon "Theodochos".
Main Church (Nave)
The cycle related to Christ begins being depicted from the
eastern part of the south wall with a direction to the west.
In the western ending of the walls the cycle of depiction
of Christ's life is interrupted by other scenes and figures
The Virgin Mary's Annunciation, the Birth of Christ, the Baptism,
and the last scene depicting the Exaltation of the Holy Cross.
The first scene depicts the martyrdom of the Saints Raphael,
Nicolas, and Irene, followed by the scenes of the Lord's Crucifixion
and Resurrection (in the form of the Descend to Hades).
The scene of St. George surrendering the princess to her father
and King, after saving her from the dragon fills the pediment,
without however a depiction of the dragon's slaying that is
finally portrayed in the eastern part of the north wall.
St Demetrios "Myrovlitis" killing the soldier, St.
Mamas, St. Alexios "the man of God", St. John the
Baptist, St. Christoforos, St. Phanourios, St. Charalambos,
and St. Stylianos.
Saints Constantine and Helen and the Saints Raphael, Nicolas,
St. Marina, St. Christina, St Ioanna "Myroforos",
St Anna holding the infant Virgin Mary, St. Irene, St. Kyriaki,
St. Thekla the First Martyr, St. Anastasia the "Pharmakolytria",
St. Theodora of Salonica, St. Paraskevi, St. Pelagia of Tinos,
St Irene "Chrysovalantou", St. Raphael the "modern
martyr of Lesbos", and -finally -the scene of the dragon's
slaying by St. George on horseback.